A Complete Information Guide on Pregnancy Week 13
By Pregnancy week 13, your fetus has developed its vocal cord, teeth (under gums) and fingerprints. Morning Sickness and Fatigue will start reducing now.
Congratulations To-Be Mom! This is the last week of your first trimester. This week indicates the completion of the first 3 months of your pregnancy. Till this week you must have kept this good news a big secret, but at the same time you must be wishing to disclose this good news soon. But now you can share this great news with everyone as by this week placenta gets fully developed and formed which reduces the risk of miscarriage.
Let us now understand the fetal development, your changing moods & symptoms during this week and important information about do’s & don’ts during this 13th week of pregnancy.
|Wish to know when your baby will arrive? Use Budding Star’s Pregnancy Due Date Calculator to know this by entering the first day of your last menstrual period. |
Pregnancy is measured from the first day of your last menstrual period.
Fetal Development in Pregnancy Week 13:
In Pregnancy week 13:
- Size of baby – 2.9 inches (7.4 cm)
- Weight of baby – 0.81 ounce (22 grams)
- Baby is as big as a Peach.
During this week, your fetus has developed its vocal cord, teeth (under gums) and even fingerprints. The size of the head will also get its proportional size according to the body as compared to the previous weeks.
Your baby will start developing now his or her reproductive organs. Also, at 13th weeks, baby’s gender can be identified, but to know more clear information you have to wait until 18th to 22nd weeks of pregnancy. However, prenatal sex determination is banned in India since 1994, under the Pre-Conception and Prenatal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act. So, you need to wait for your D-day to see whether you’re blessed with a baby girl or a baby boy.
This week your placenta is also growing (will be continuing to grow in size in your complete pregnancy) so that your fetus can get enough oxygen and nutrients via umbilical cord. Your unborn baby’s eye lids are still fused shut and will remain closed till 28th week of pregnancy. This allows the retina to fully develop.
During week 13, the bones will get developed in your baby’s arms and legs. The intestines which were growing in umbilical cord will now move to your baby’s abdomen.
The nose and lips are completely formed and the fetus has now begun to produce and excrete urine. The baby’s urine contains all the amniotic fluids which he/she has swallowed till now.
In short, your fetal development is moving up with a great speed. The baby’s skin is getting matured and losing its transparency. The fetal heartbeat rate which used to be higher during previous weeks will now start slowing down. You can ask your doctor to make you hear your fetal heartbeat rate in your next prenatal appointment.
[icon type=”icon-lamp”]Started searching your baby’s name? Let us help you in this also!
Click on the link mentioned below to get unique names of boys and girls (with meaning) according to their Zodiac sign and Rashi.
Moods & Symptoms in Pregnancy Week 13:
- You must be feeling happy and excited to share this news with your family and your friends. You have probably now adjusted with the fact of being pregnant.
- From this week onward, your early pregnancy symptoms like morning sickness and fatigue will start reducing now and you will feel more energetic as compared to the previous weeks of your pregnancy.
- Sexually active – You may notice that you are feeling more sexually active. So, if you want, you may have some good time with your partner. Many women do get sexually aroused during the end of the first trimester because the higher levels of hormones make vaginal lubrication good.
- Visible veins – There will be visible veins under your skin because you have increased blood flow.
- Heartburn or Acidity – This unpleasant symptom will continue to be there with you for few more weeks. Stay away from oily and spicy foods and consult with your doctor to get prescribed antacids.
- Constipation – We have mentioned that all-important hormones create some unwanted side-effects and constipation is one of them. The pregnancy makes bowel movement less active which gives you uncomfortable feeling. To handle constipation easily, start taking fiber-rich diet like oats, root vegetables (carrots, and potatoes), etc. and drink plenty of water.
[icon type=”icon-lamp”] Suffering from Constipation during Pregnancy? Looking for Home Remedies?
Remedy- Take 10 Currant (Munakka) and boil with 1 glass milk. Now eat these Currants and drink that milk at night before going to sleep. You can repeat it for 2-3 days for chronic constipation.
Read more such effective Home Remedies for Constipation During Pregnancy.
- Vaginal Discharge – You might have noticed is an increase in your vaginal discharge. As the pregnancy progresses, an increase in discharge is expected. A perfectly normal discharge would be milky white, thin and mild-smelly (sometimes, odorless too). But if in case you feel that this discharge is not in perfect sign then contact your gynecologist as soon as possible.
- Food aversions/cravings – may keep you following for more time. Do your best to find healthy foods that appeal to you and prefer to eat frequently but in small quantity.
Do’s and Don’ts in Pregnancy Week 13:
There are many lifestyle modifications that need to be made during pregnancy and post-delivery. Here are important tips for Pregnancy week 13:
- During pregnancy, it should be your priority to take care of yourself and your developing baby. Do not drink alcohol, chew tobacco or smoke. Quit these unhealthy habits completely.
- It is always advised to take prescribed medicines only during pregnancy as *every medicine is not safe during pregnancy and can harm the growing fetus.
- Eat healthy and balanced diet with prenatal vitamin added with Folic acid.
- To stay energetic and stress free during your pregnancy, practicing yoga or any regular exercise which is safe during pregnancy can be done. Consult to your doctor about the same.
- Don’t stress so much for work. Take small nap in afternoon so that your body can take rest.
- If you are suffering from your lower back, you can buy a body pillow. This pain is caused by the increasing weight of your uterus, which puts pressure on your pelvic.
- Make sure your food is fully cooked and fresh. Avoid eating uncooked or any unpasteurized dairy product.
- Caffeine is OK in pregnancy but should be consumed in moderation.
- Start having protein and calcium rich food more during pregnancy.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated.
|[icon type=”icon-lamp”]Read “Diet during Pregnancy” to know which all foods are beneficial and should be avoided in Pregnancy first trimester.|
Note: *Every medicine is not safe during pregnancy. Do not consume any medicine which is not prescribed by your gynecologist. In case of emergency, consult your doctor before consuming any medicine. Some medications in pregnancy are safe and some are not. Please never hesitate to take advise from your doctor.
Below are the list of medicines which are safe and which are not safe during pregnancy for your reference:
Frequently asked questions (FAQ):
- What can be done to prevent stretch marks?
Ans: There are some things which you could use to minimize stretch marks but there is no proven way to get rid of stretch marks completely. But never do itching otherwise stretch marks will become permanent after pregnancy. Foods which are rich in antioxidants and Vitamin A and E can be good for lighten the stretch marks, and it also nourishes the skin too. Stretch marks are likely to be related with genetics. So, if your mother has stretch marks then most probably you will also get stretch marks.
|[icon type=”icon-lamp”]Worried about stretch marks during pregnancy? Read Belly Skin Care During Pregnancy to prevent stretch marks.|
Stay positive. Reading spiritual books might help. It is believed that listening to garbh sanskar imbibes good values in the baby.
For your reference- Pregnancy Week 13:
- Top 15 Symptoms of Baby Girl During Pregnancy - March 28, 2020
- Top 15 Symptoms of Baby Boy During Pregnancy - March 27, 2020
- Everything You Want To Know About The Sims 4 Pregnancy Mods - March 18, 2020
- Role of Social Class in Parenting - January 7, 2020
- Fostering- A Form of Employment with Human Touch - November 9, 2019
- Everything You Need To Know About Car Insurance Policies For Seniors - October 31, 2019
- The Benefits of Spending More on High-End Sneakers - October 30, 2019
- How to clean a Mattress - October 24, 2019
- Exploring the Nuances of Performance Art - October 17, 2019
- The Bare Essentials: School Supplies 2019 - September 10, 2019