[heading tag=”h2″ align=”center” color=”#000″ style=”lines” color2=”#000″]In this Article[/heading]
[divider height=”30″ style=”default” line=”default” themecolor=”1″]
Constipation during pregnancy is a common problem which is found in approx. 50% of pregnant women. Hormonal changes and a side-effect of medicines are the major causes. Here we are with some of the home remedies for constipation during pregnancy that can keep you away from this problem in this tenure. Before we go to remedies we need to know the cause in depth. So here is a snapshot!
Causes of Constipation during Pregnancy
The major reason is, during pregnancy the progesterone hormone level elevates which makes the smooth muscles relaxed inside the intestine. For this reason, the food and waste material inside intestine makes a slow movement in passage to other organs in the system. This enhances water absorption in the bowel which results in constipation.
Moreover, the uterus expands in size during the second trimester which exerts pressure on other organs in the abdominal region. Intestine comes under huge pressure by expanded and heavy uterus which distracts the movement of food and waste materials. Rectum is also affected by it.
All pregnant women are given iron tablets which stimulate the factor of constipation. Also, some other drugs, medicines and changed food habits play a vital role.
Now, we will discuss some of the effective home remedies for constipation during pregnancy.
Home Remedies for Constipation during Pregnancy:
1. High-Fibre Diet:
- You should consume 25 gm to 30 gm of fibre-rich Fruit, vegetables, cereals, whole grain bread, prunes and bran are suggestible.
- Currant or Munakka is very good. Take 10 pieces of Currant and then boil it with milk, approx. make it 1 glass full. Now you may eat the currants and have the milk before sleep at night. Repeating this for 3 to 4 days recovers constipation to a higher extent. This is one of the best home remedies for constipation during pregnancy.
- Taking prune juice regularly eases constipation. It also provides nutrition to pregnant woman. You can also mix it with water or orange juice.
2. Increase water or liquid intake:
Higher intake of fluid is very important for everybody and especially for those who are pregnant. Every day take 6 to 8 glass of water to keep the body hydrated. A properly hydrated body has a lesser chance of constipation.
- Before bed, you may take lukewarm water which helps to easy bowel movement. Along with that, you may boil ajwain or carom seeds to get the best result.
- Boil fennel/sauf together in water. After that put off the flame and add a tablespoon full of desi ghee. Before sleep drink this in luke warm condition. The combination of fennel and ghee is natural stool softener.
- Having herbal tea or a cup of hot water with a little lemon juice (a natural laxative) or honey may stimulate your colon as well.
- Keep water in the copper pot throughout the night and then intake the same at morning with empty stomach. It works for some people and there is no harm even if you make it a part of your morning routine.
- Mix two spoons of Aloe Vera gel with any juice. It’s best to use pure aloe Vera gel from the plant. But if not feasible, you can take one available in the market. Drinking this mixture also works as a wonder for relieving from constipation.
3. Yoga or exercise:
You can do some prenatal yoga or exercise or walk for stimulating intestine in moving bowels. Walking or freehand exercise, at least thrice a week is important. But take permission from a doctor for the same. And don’t try it if you have any complications.
4. Iron supplements:
Take natural iron supplements foods so that your doctor can reduce iron tablet dosage.
|[icon type=”icon-lamp”] Read a mini booklet on Pregnancy Journey to Childbirth. Know which exercises are best for pregnant woman.|
What you should not do during pregnancy to get relieved from Constipation
Never take any constipation or laxative pills to get relief from constipation. As such pills make urine contraction which may lead to dehydration. You also should not have any mineral oil rich food as it reduces absorption of nutrition. Do not have spicy and oily food as it has a natural tendency to harden the bowel movement.
Last but not least, relax and be stress free as much as you can, eat well and have lots of green vegetables, fruits and don’t overwork. Increase your intake of water and juices than normal and off course do exercise, keep the movement on that will not only help in reliving constipation but a smoother delivery as well.