We often find new mothers getting worried about the hair on the new born’s body. Then they start researching the reasons and home remedies to Get Rid of New Born Baby Body Hair. And yes mothers always rely on the age old natural ways and home remedies to get rid of them. So, in this post tried and tested home remedies are discussed to get rid of New Born Baby Body Hair along with the importance of choosing the right baby skin care range
New Born Baby’s hair is mostly found on the shoulders and back of the new baby. Those fine hair on the newborn body is called “lanugo.” Such hair is shed naturally and it may take anything between a few weeks to a few months to disappear.
Before writing down the Home Remedies to get rid of New Born Baby Body Hair, let us know some more details and advantages about newborn body hair. Even if it does not look so good, this initial body hair is advantageous to the little one.
What is lanugo?
Lanugo is a term used for hair which covers the body of newborns, they are the first hair which appears from the hair follicles.
Functions of New Born body hair?
- While the baby is in the womb, lanugo acts as a protection of the tender skin of your baby
- It prevents any damage from amniotic fluid
- It holds together a greasy wax like layer which plays the role of covering the skin of the baby so that it remains moisturized or warm
Problems related to New Born body hair?
New born body hair can be problematic in situations where it does not shed off properly and converts into prominent hair as it happens due to lack of specific enzymes causing lack of cortisol and higher secretion of androgen leading to hair growth excessively.
What if body hair does not appear?
A doctor should be consulted if your baby has not shed its initial hair in the first 6-7 months or if he is developing darker hair as he is suffering from congenital adrenal hyperplasia or CAH which requires timely treatment.
It is very common that a baby is born with fine visible hair on his or her body. It automatically gets shed in the first few weeks after birth. The remedies that I explained above are not very necessary to follow as naturally the hair shedding may take only a little longer. Howbeit, if your baby has not shed the initial hair within a maximum period of six months or is developing darker hair, then you must consult a doctor. This could be a sign of a serious condition and you should not delay it by using home remedies.
Here are some advantages of newborn body hair:
- While the baby is still in the womb, Lanugo acts as a protection on her tender skin.
- The damage which can be caused by the amniotic fluid inside, Lanugo avoids it.
- It also holds together the vernix caseosa. A greasy wax-like layer that covers your baby’s skin in the womb to keep it warm and moisturized.
- It is helpful at the time of birth by facilitating easy passage through the bony cervix.
Now you know that your baby’s body hair doesn’t have any disadvantage. Though it’ll go automatically, below are some Home Remedies to Get Rid of New Born Baby Body Hair that are easy to follow and actually work.
3 Home Remedies to Get Rid of New Born Baby Body Hair :
1. Massage with Olive Oil
Massage with Olive oil is one of the best home remedies to get rid of New Born Baby Body Hair.
- Apply olive oil on your baby’s body.
- Massage her body in clockwise motion for some time.
- Don’t apply so much pressure on baby’s body.
- You can do massage twice a day.
|You may be interested in reading – How to massage a Baby|
Apart from facilitating the removal of the body hair, massage gives you a quality time to spend with your newborn. If your baby’s body is not accepting olive oil, you can try other essential oil like coconut oil or any good baby care brand’s massage oil.
I belong to East UP and there, massage with mustard oil is very common for newborn babies. I found many doctors recommend avoiding mustard oil massage but my personal experience with mustard oil is good. Mustard oil keeps the baby’s skin moist and soft. It’s antibacterial and anti-fungal properties helps in treating rashes/ infection.
- Wait till the umbilical cord of a baby sheds off naturally by itself. To keep it safe, introduce massage only after 40 days of baby’s birth.
2. Dough of Wheat and Gram flour
- Make a soft dough of wheat and gram flour.
- Rub it all over the baby’s body gently.
- Roots of hair will be softened by it and hair will be removed gradually.
Now, there is another tradition that is being followed in Eastern UP region. After massaging the baby, a dough made with wheat and gram flour is rolled over the body of the newborn. It is believed that this process helps to reduce the body hair and also prevents body odour. Now, I am still to find the connection of this dough rubbing and body odour, however, this method is one of the really effective home remedies to get rid of New Born Baby Body Hair.
- Wait till the umbilical cord of a baby sheds off naturally by itself. To keep it safe, introduce this remedy only after 40 days of baby’s birth.
3. Ubtan (made of lentil, almond and milk)
In some families, an Ubtan made with lentil (urad dal), almond and milk, is used as a remedy for newborn body hair.
- Wait till umbilical cord of a baby sheds off naturally by itself. To keep it safe, introduce this remedy only after 40 days of baby’s birth.
|You may be interested in reading – How to take care of Umbilical Cord Stump|
A word of caution: “Be gentle” while massaging or using Ubtan. Newborn are very delicate and their skin gets affected by the harsh message.
So, these were the home remedies to get rid of New Born Baby Body Hair.
Do you have any more tips or Home Remedies to get rid of New Born Baby Body Hair? Do share with us in the comments below.
Happy Positive Parenting with Budding Star
- Home Remedies for Baby Hair removal - March 1, 2021
- How to Choose the Right Baby Skin Care Range - July 20, 2018
- Break off the habit of Thumb Sucking in your Kid - January 6, 2018
- How To Make Toddler Brush His Teeth - October 5, 2017
- 11 Tips for Traveling by Train During Pregnancy - July 17, 2017
- Few Tips for Normal Delivery - June 30, 2017
- Common Symptoms of Teething in Babies - June 9, 2017
- How To Put A Baby To Sleep - May 25, 2017
- Breastfeeding And Going Back To Work - May 17, 2017
- Why Mother’s Day - May 11, 2017