Hip pain is common in children and teenagers and has a range of causes. So don’t ignore these hip pain symptoms in children. The clinical challenge in pediatric hip pain differentiates urgent conditions such as infection of the hip-joint from the more common annoyed hip.
Transient synovitis is of the most common causes of hip pain in children over 3 years of age, but it has similar symptoms to septic arthritis. Children with hip pain may represent with pain, refusal to bear weight and decreased the movement of the lower extremity. This article offers a guide to assessment, an overview of common causes and the examination of the hip pain. Some common causes of hip pain are mentioned below. Don’t ignore these hip pain symptoms in children:
Infectious pain is commonly acute, localized and refuse to bear weight; it is generally accompanied by fever, exalted white blood cell count.
This pain is usually in chronic; may be accompanied by others like nail pits, rash, involves joints other than the hip and refusal to bear the weight is uncommon.
Pain is generally localized to the hip, but may be referred to the thigh or keen. Pain increases with the activities and decreases with the rest.
These are some important points which help you examine the hip pain in children.
- Examine the walk. Evaluation of walk and maneuvers such as squatting and single leg hopping may be helpful.
- Careful examination of the hip is necessary.
- Inspect for leg length variation, swelling, redness. Swelling of the hip is rarely visible, as the joint is so deep into the soft tissues.
- Check the range of motions. Active and passive moments by comparison to the other side.
Treatment for hip problem is depends upon the location and type of the problem as well as the child’s age, health and general activity level. Treatment may include first aid like application of a brace card, harness, Physical therapy, medicines and surgery.
For more information, you may leave your comment in the comment box below
You may also read
Don’t ignore these hip pain symptoms in children
- Ideas for Healthy Lunch Boxes for Kids - September 19, 2020
- Importance of Games in Child’s Life - August 31, 2020
- February Wellness Pledge Calendar - January 31, 2020
- 150 Unique Indian Baby Boy Names with Meanings, Rashi and Numerology - January 24, 2020
- 18 Best Eco-Friendly Sanitary Napkins for Indian Women - October 20, 2019
- 25 Ideal Newborn Baby Gift Ideas - August 26, 2019
- 8 Best Mosquito Nets for Babies - June 30, 2019
- We All Need to be Heard - May 20, 2019
- Motu Patlu and Barbie Helped Me Make Brushing Fun for My Child - March 22, 2019
- How to Match Fragrance to an Outfit - January 4, 2019