Hey Mommies! Are you worried about the growing tummies of your child?
Nowadays the increasing rate of overweight children is a worldwide health issue. Obesity is a major problem that is increasing day by day. There are many reasons behind it.
A good mom doesn’t make a big deal out of it when her little girl carries a few extra kgs. Initially, In the growing stage when our little ones seemed to be a bit heavier, a lot hungrier, we don’t find it a big issue. You can see so many parents around you who are unaware of their child being overweight or are in denial saying things like, ” my child will lose baby fat or he’ll just grow out of it.”
Child Obesity- A Global Problem??
Childhood obesity is a condition where excess body fat negatively affects a child’s health or well-being.
Causes of Child obesity- A Global Problem:
* Junk food
* No exercise
* Too much TV
* No fruits and veggies
* Soda and juice
* Chips, chocolates, and ice cream
I really want to encourage parents to create a healthy environment around and encourage their children to lose weight, without a diet, and without shaming. Some steps to be taken to make a lifestyle change to foster a better relationship between your child and the food he/she eats.
Here are some do’s and don’t’s to be followed by parents to fight child obesity- A Global Problem:-
* Do provide a variety of healthy food
* Do give small portions and let children ask for more. Serve food as per child’s age.
* Do provide healthy snacks between meals. Kids’ stomachs are small but they use up a lot of energy. Serve them small meals after every 2-3 hours.
* Do make mealtime enjoyable and take away the distractions such as TV, mobile phones, etc.
* Do replace whole milk with skim milk at about 2 years of age if you are concerned about obesity.
* Don’t use other foods as rewards. Don’t bribe them. If you say,” Eat spinach and you can have some cake.”
* Don’t force kids to eat too much.
* Don’t serve pre-prepared foods with extra sugar.
* Don’t let children nibble throughout the day. Provide food choices only at meals and snacks that are at the same times each day.
* Don’t get emotionally weak, mommies. if your child asks for extra food, avoid it. Be strict.
Healthy Eating Habits.
To avoid obesity children should have healthy eating habits like:
- They should have enough quantity of vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain products in their diet.
- Start consuming low-fat or non-fat milk or dairy products.
- For protein include lean meats, poultry, fish, lentils, and beans in their diet.
- Make them drink lots of water.
- Reduce the amount consumption of sugar and saturated fat.
Increase Their Physical Activities.
You can encourage them for regular activities like running, exercising or playing games because it has many health benefits, like:
- It will strengthen their bones.
- It helps in maintaining blood pressure.
- It also helps in reducing stress and anxiety.
- It helps in Increasing self-esteem.
- It also helps in losing weight.
Reduce The Amount Of Calorie Intake.
If we reduce high fat and high sugar or salty snacks it will eventually lead to healthy eating habits as whenever they will feel hungry they will eat something healthy. You should make them some easy and delicious, rich in nutrients snacks which are low in calories. Some examples of easy-to-prepare, low-fat, and low-sugar snacks that have 100 or less than 100 calories are:
- Cut their favorite vegetables like carrots, broccoli, or bell peppers and add 2 tablespoons of hummus.
- You can also give them a medium-sized apple or banana.
- 1 cup blueberries or grapes.
- You can also make oven-baked kale chips.
Obesity affects the little bodies:
Some physical activities to fight obesity:-
Encourage your child to do physical activities like dance, exercise, yoga, sports. If a child doesn’t take initiative for doing these activities then try some different ways to encourage them.
Like, for doing exercise, I have picked up some interesting ideas that can be done with children. That way children will show some interest and enjoy the exercise as well.
1. Kids Fitness Activity: What is your name?
Method: Write one exercise or activity with each letter of the alphabet and make a chart. Then ask your child to choose the letters of his/her name and do the same exercise or activity written with letters. I am sure children will love to do this activity.
2. This activity is similar to the earlier one but the difference is, in this activity, different workouts are written in front of each letter. Otherwise, all procedure is the same. This method will help children do workouts while playing.
3. Next is YOGA
There is nothing like practicing yoga. Yoga typically consists of breathing, meditation, and poses and it can be practiced at any time of day.
You and your child can wake up and practice yoga in bed to start the day. Your family can do it at night time in a routine before bed to calm the mind. Yoga is just as beneficial for adults, so making it a family event allows for exercise and time spent together.
Here are some yoga poses for kids to be followed:-
To know more about Yoga for kids read:
“Monkey See, Monkey Do! ”
Be the eater you want your child to be!
Well, to sum up, it is clear that the main causes of obesity are unhealthy eating, unhealthy lifestyle and not enough physical activities. This ailment can be prevented and treated by healthy eating habits and exercise.
Eat healthily! Stay healthy! Fight Obesity…!!!
And help your child fight obesity with exercise and yoga……….
Want to know fancy dress ideas for kids? Click here to know the fancy dress ideas list
Know the best unique first birthday themes for boys.
- How To Remove Stretch Marks : Home Remedies - March 1, 2021
- Home Remedies for Wrinkles - March 1, 2021
- Child Obesity: A Global Problem - February 15, 2019
- The Blue Whale Challenge Game Menace - August 11, 2017
- Belly Skin Care During Pregnancy - July 21, 2017
- A Ride of “HAPPINESS” - June 24, 2017
- My Hero.. My Dad - June 18, 2017
- Is C-Section Painful or Not? - June 6, 2017