Hey Mommies! Are you worried about growing tummies of your child?
Now a days the increasing rate of overweight children is a worldwide health issue. Obesity is a major problem which is increasing day by day. There are many reasons behind it.
A good mom doesn’t make a big deal out of it when her little girl carries a few extra kgs. Initially, In growing stage when our little ones seemed to be a bit heavier, a lot hungrier, we don;t find it a big issue. You can see so many parents around you who are unaware of their child being overweight or are in denial saying things like, ” my child will loose baby fat or he’ll just grow out of it.”
Child Obesity- A Global Problem??
Childhood obesity is a condition where excess body fat negatively affects a child’s health or well being.
Causes of Child obesity- A Global Problem:
* Junk food
* No exercise
* Too much TV
* No fruits and veggies
* Soda and juice
* Chips, chocolates and ice cream
I really want to encourage parents to create healthy environment around and encourage your child to loose weight, without a diet and without shaming. Some steps to be taken to make a life style change to foster a better relationship between your child and food he/she eats.
Here are some do’s and don’t’s to be followed by parents to fight child obesity- A Global Problem:-
* Do provide variety of healthy food
* Do give small portions and let children ask for more. Serve food as per child’ s age.
* Do provide healthy snacks between meals. Kids’ stomachs are small but they use up a lot of energy. Serve them small meals after every 2-3 hours.
* Do make meal time enjoyable and take away the distractions such as TV, mobile phones etc.
* Do replace whole milk with skim milk at about 2 years of age if you are concerned about obesity.
* Don’t use other foods as rewards. Don’t bribe them. If you say,” Eat spinach and you can have some cake.”
* Don’t force kids to eat too much.
* Don’t serve pre-prepared and foods with extra sugar.
* Don’t let children nibble throughout the day . Provide food choices only at meals and snacks that are at the same times each day.
* Don’t get emotionally weak, mommies. if your child asks for extra food, aviod it. Be strict.
Obesity affects the little bodies:
Some physical activities to fight obesity:-
Encourage your child to do physical activities like dance, exercise, yoga, sports. If child doesn’t take initiative for doing these activities then try some different ways to encourage them.
Like, for doing exercise, I have picked up some interesting ideas that can be done with children. That ways children will show some interest and enjoy the exercise as well.
1. Kids Fitness Activity: What is your name?
Method: Write one exercise or activity with each letter of alphabet and make a chart. Then ask your child to choose the letters of his/her name and do the same exercise or activity written with letters. I am sure children will love to do this activity.
2. This activity is similar to earlier one but difference is, in this activity different workouts are written in front of each letter. Otherwise all procedure is same. This method will help children do workout while playing.
3. Next is YOGA
There is nothing like practicing yoga. Yoga typically consists of breathing, meditation and poses and it can be practiced at any time of day.
You and your child can wake up and practice yoga in bed to start the day. Your family can do at night time in routine before bed to calm the mind. Yoga is just as beneficial for adults, so making it a family event allows for exercise and time spent together.
Here are some yoga poses for kids to be followed:-
To know more about Yoga for kids read:
“Monkey see , Monkey do! ”
Be the eater you want your child to be!
Well, to sum up, it is clear that main causes of obesity are unhealthy eating, unhealthy lifestyle and not enough physical activities. This ailment can be prevented and treated by healthy eating habits and exercises.
Eat healthy! Stay healthy ! Fight Obesity…!!!
And help your child fight obesity with exercise and yoga……….
- Child Obesity: A Global Problem - February 15, 2019
- The Blue Whale Challenge Game Menace - August 11, 2017
- How to Get Rid of Stretch Marks after Pregnancy: 10 Natural Remedies - July 23, 2017
- Belly Skin Care During Pregnancy - July 21, 2017
- A Ride of “HAPPINESS” - June 24, 2017
- My Hero.. My Dad - June 18, 2017
- Home Remedies To Treat Wrinkles And Skin Ageing - June 14, 2017
- Is C-Section Painful or Not? - June 6, 2017