——————In this Article——————
Education is significant to all of us as it enhances our knowledge, skills and abilities. It makes us a strong individual who can think rationally and always go with a positive attitude in his/her life. Every parent wishes to see their child moving towards the path of success which is only probable through proper education. But it doesn’t mean a child becomes a bookworm. He/she should be active in games and sports too. In this article, the importance of games in child’s life is discussed.
Physical education period is the most awaited thing that all children look forward to in school. This period normally lasts for 50 minutes in school so for a lot of children it seems less of time. They eagerly wait for this period in school and have a desire that it never ends. At home also, many children wait for the evening time so that they can go and play outdoor.
Playing any games/sports always have a positive impact on children. Overall it enhances a child’s physical, social, cognitive and emotional well-being. Well, children participate in sports for ample reasons. Be it for fun, or due to personal motivation, acquire the status that playing a sport brings with, for fitness, due to parental pressure, or a desire to be like a famous sportsperson a child admires. Whatever the reasons for a child to engage in a sport may be, they most definitely reap the benefits of it.
Every sport/game has different rules and regulations and assists in different ways in the development of a child’s mind. Before writing down the importance of games in a child’s life, let us know first its classification. Sports and games can be classified as follows:
- Indoor games
- Outdoor games
Indoor games are those that are played, situated or done inside the building. Indoor games are not only super fun but also works as a stress buster for kids as well as parents. It can be further classified into two categories of games. First, that involves a child’s physical movement and another physical activity. The indoor games that involve physical movement are Puzzles Games, Chess, Quiz, Carrom, etc. All these games enrich the mental power of the child. Another set of indoor games that involve physical activity are badminton, table tennis, etc.
Here is the list of 3 best Indoor Games that can bring the family together:
1. Indoor Bowling
This is one of the best indoor games for kiddos. Indoor bowling is super interesting and enhances hand to eye coordination in the child. Setting up the indoor bowling needs basic things to get started or you can also buy bowling set from kid’s shop. When you look at the importance of indoor games for kids, for hand and eye coordination, bowling is the best.
How to set up Indoor Bowling:
- Spacious floor
- Empty cans or plastic bottles -10 nos
- Plastic ball – 1
How to Play:
- Using the marker draw the bowling lane and also number the cans or plastic bottle.
- Arrange the bottles in ascending order similar to the bowling pins.
- Ask the kid to strike the arrangement using the ball and write down the points.
2. Toss the shirt
This is another fun game that needs minimal setup and is also an extremely interesting indoor game for kids. all you need is a folded T-shirt and a bucket. Help the child to learn the importance of minor games, it will not only increase their concentration but also is a brilliant way to teach effective use of minimal resource.
How to set up toss the shirt game:
- Spacious floor without any hurdles.
- Folded shirt – 2
- Bucket – 1
How to play:
- Toss the shirt game is extremely simple. All you need is to fold the shirt similar to a ball and tie it together so it doesn’t open up.
- Place the bucket near the wall and move at least 10 steps away from the setup.
- Take turns to throw the rolled-up shirt inside the bucket.
Puzzles are one of the best indoor games for kids which will never get old or boring. The importance of indoor games especially puzzles are huge, it is an educational as well as an engaging activity for kids. The child can learn new things in the form of puzzles. As a parent, never ignore the importance of minor games. Encourage your child to solve a greater number of puzzles to boost IQ.
How to create puzzles:
- Cut down a big picture into small similar sized squares.
How to Play:
- Encourage the child to assemble the pieces of the puzzle to form a final picture and ask them to talk 2-3 lines about the picture.
- You can also invest in different puzzles like fruits, vegetables, 3D Puzzles, and a lot.
|Moms, be a part of our Facebook closed community called “Parenting Mom Style” to share any kind of your experiences and queries.|
Outdoor games are those that are played, happening or situated outside. Nothing is more relaxing and fun for a child than stepping out for an energetic gaming session with family and friends. Hockey, Cricket, Volleyball, Basketball, Football, etc. are some of the outdoor games. Never ignore the importance of minor games, outdoor games help the child to stay energetic and physically fit.
Here is the list of 3 best Outdoor Games which your child will enjoy to the core:
1. Water Balloon Splash
The Water Balloon Splash is the best outdoor games for kids during summer, the game helps the child to concentrate, grab the ball, and target the right audience. Water Balloon Splash can be played in the park or home balcony. Be prepared to be fully drenched.
How to set up Water Balloon Splash:
- Colourful balloons – 20-30 nos
- Water – 1 bucket
How to Play:
- Fill each balloon with water. To make it more interesting, you can add food colour to the water and use the same to fill the balloons.
- Tie the end of the balloons and keep aside in a basket.
- Invite the kids to the park or a play area and encourage them to hit each other gently using the Water Balloon. The water balloon splash game is a relaxing outdoor summer game.
2. Paper Boat Race
This one is a unique and fulfilled outdoor game for kids. The importance of outdoor games includes physical fitness, imagination, and improving respiratory health.
How to set up Paper Boat Race:
- Colour paper – 4-5 sheets
- Straw – 10 nos
- Big bowl – 1
How to Play:
- Make boats using the coloured paper
- fill water in the big bowl and create a kiddie pool.
- Now race the paper boats in this water bowl by blowing through the straw.
3. Mud Pies
Kids love to play in the mud, give them an opportunity this time. The importance of outdoor games includes understanding motor skills and identifying different texture and free play. Mud pie is one of the best outdoor games which kids enjoy to play endless hours.
How to set up Mud Pies:
- Baking moulds
- Spatula and Spoons
How to play Mud Pies:
- Let the kids get messy while playing with the mud and creating mud pies.
- Encourage them to use the baking modules to make desired shapes.
- Imagination is the key, let the child enjoy baking mud pies and cupcakes.
Now, let us know the importance of outdoor and those games/activities that involves physical activity. Some of its benefits are listed below.
Importance of Games in a child’s life:
Sports and strength are two sides of the coin. Playing sports helps kids in strengthening the immune system, maintaining physical coordination, enhancing body strength and thus keeps mind peaceful, sharp and active with improved concentration and balance. Fine and gross motor skills get developed if a child is engaged in games. It also reduces the risk of diabetes, heart problems and other complications. Nowadays, a major concern among mothers is growing weight of their children. Playing any sport/game not only make a child super active, and it also reduces the risk of obesity and helps in burning off extra calories. Thus, playing any game promotes the healthy physical development of a child.
Overcoming from anxiety:
The foremost problems a child faces in this competitive era are depression, emotional imbalance, stress, anger, etc. Engaging in outdoor games on a regular basis helps to get emotional stability and a positive attitude. Thus it helps in fighting with all the above-quoted problems among children. It also benefits easily overcoming from anxiety, tension and nervousness. It helps pump up endorphins, sometimes called “feel-good hormones”, thereby releasing the tension and frustration. The fresh air that the children will breathe while playing on the field will add more value to their physical well-being. Don’t you feel that playing outdoor games would give an amusing break in a day for a child because when the children are on the playfield they literally forget everything!
Self-esteem and Confidence:
It helps in boosting a child’s self-esteem and confidence. They can handle stress & pressure if they are involved in games. Sports is an excellent medium to develop a problem-solving attitude and creativity in children. These days’ children remain indoors and spend their leisure time watching TV, playing on mobile phones, etc. which makes them aggressive and isolated. In contrast, children who get engaged in outdoor games gain social and communication skills which contribute more confidence in them. Moreover, it is the best way of channelizing a child’s natural energy in an appropriate manner.
Discipline and Dedication:
The main objective of games is not merely just fun; it also instils the spirit of discipline and dedication among children. It teaches patience to the child in a way that he should play for the sake of the game, not for the defeat or victory. And time management skills also get advanced in a child, thus making him punctual. All these skills help him adapt better to the roles that he would be expected to play in adulthood and would be able to cope up any challenging situation be it in the personal or professional life.
Team spirit, Cooperation and Leadership Skills:
Games help in fostering creativity, team spirit, sportsmanship and leadership skills. Children learn to cooperate with their teammates and function in harmony with others. Games develop the overall personality of a child. It allows a child to be independent and self-reliant. Games/ Sports not only facilitate a healthy lifestyle but also help the students to perform academically better. It improves the concentration and focus of a child.
|You may be interested in reading the High Five Principles of Sports|
Now we can say that games are essential for the holistic growth of a child. It makes him/her better prepared to tackle life situations later on. Thus, there is a great importance of games in child’s life.
Do let us know your favourite outdoor activity. Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
- Ideas for Healthy Lunch Boxes for Kids - September 19, 2020
- Importance of Games in Child’s Life - August 31, 2020
- February Wellness Pledge Calendar - January 31, 2020
- 150 Unique Indian Baby Boy Names with Meanings, Rashi and Numerology - January 24, 2020
- 18 Best Eco-Friendly Sanitary Napkins for Indian Women - October 20, 2019
- 25 Ideal Newborn Baby Gift Ideas - August 26, 2019
- 8 Best Mosquito Nets for Babies - June 30, 2019
- We All Need to be Heard - May 20, 2019
- Motu Patlu and Barbie Helped Me Make Brushing Fun for My Child - March 22, 2019
- How to Match Fragrance to an Outfit - January 4, 2019